Sunday, September 11, 2011

Heros

I'm not going to say a lot about 9/11. There's not much to be said. Over these 10 years people have composed great stories, articles, books, ect. that depict the sorrow that swept through America that day. A sorrow so strong, we still feel it today. Although we feel the pain and sorrow, we also feel unity and determination like never before. 


Most people ask 'Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11?" Sadly, I can't remember. I guess I was too young to understand. But over the past few years, as I've grown older and realized the full results of 9/11, I've joined in the mourning of that day. 


Every time I watch videos or old news reports on the event, I don't only feel pain, I feel the urge to do something. I feel like I can do something that will honor the men and woman who fell on 9/11, wether it was those on the plane, those in the Twin Towers, or even those roaming the streets below. I would love to become a Fire-Fighter, or Policewoman, or any of the first-responders. I would love to become part of the military, but I don't have what it takes. 


And I don't mean I don't have muscle (not saying I do ether.). I'm not saying I don't have the skill. No. It's just that every time I think about a future as a first responder or soldier I wonder. I wonder one thing; do have have the strength to walk on, straight into the fire, even if I'm scared? Because that's what they do. The first responders and soldiers, they're not heros because they were physically strong or incredibly smart. No, it's because, even when afraid they were able to keep on going. 


A hero does feel fear. A hero does feel pain. A hero does have the urge to turn and run. But what sets heros apart is their ability to ignore those feelings, stash them away, and fight. It's easy to be invincible and fight, it's heroic to be weak and fight. 


That's why the men and woman who died saving those in the Pentagon and Twin Towers, and even those who fought on the planes, are true heros. There is no doubt they felt fear, any human would. But unlike some of us, they didn't let it get in their way. 


To all the heros of  the past, the present and the future, may God's love surrounded you and comfort you. There is a special place for all you in my heart and those of every American. We won't forget what you have done and will do.

And I will finish this supposedly short post by saying: America took a shocking blow ten years ago. It feels like we're still recovering and some ways, we are. But what was meant to send terror into our hearts and break us down, only brought us up and made us stand together, as one. Even as America struggles with political problems, there will be one thing that makes us all unite and stand beside our brothers and sisters. What terrorist tried to take away from us will now only grow and become stronger.  The memory of 9/11 can not and will not be forgotten.


'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.' John 15:13


(Pictures from a 9/11 memorial we went to)





















With Much Love, 




P.S


I thought I'd share part of what I wrote last year at this time. As I read part of that post, I'm not sure what to think. But this part, this part I remember writing and still agree with it. 



"Tomorrow will be 9/11.

Tomorrow will be the day to remember the thousands that died in just one day within hours.

Tomorrow was the day, nine years ago, that could easily be a day that we will remember as 'The Day that Changed the World'.

Tomorrow, nine years ago, was the day the America came together as one.

Tomorrow is a day we will need to pray for those who wanted this to happen, that were effected by it and those who had to watch it happen.

Tomorrow--half the nation will go along with their every day business, not even thinking about what happened nine years ago.

Tomorrow people will be just another day for some people.

But for me?
It will never, ever, ever, be the same.
I will never be able to think of Sept. Eleventh the same.

Some people have chosen to forget it, some people don't care, some people are so ignorant they say we should all forget it.

Me?
I will pray for the families of those who were lost in that tragic day.

I was about six around the time.  I didn't know what was going on.  I didn't get it.  I didn't understand.

I knew no one who was there. Who was hurt by it or died during it.

I've never even been to New York.

But yet I still feel the pain. I still cry when I see the footage. When I see pictures of one of the towers falling and the other one with the plane flying towards it I can't express the sorrow I feel.

Now I try to imagine how it felt to be there. On that day and watch. Imagine knowing someone you love is in there. How could someone cope with that?

I saw a video that someone took of one of the towers falling from the street. You want to know what killed me? The screaming. You could hear woman, children and men screaming. Some yelling, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" Not in a excited I just won this new C.D 'Oh my gosh' but in a totally different kind. The most horrified, devastated kind.

But the one picture that made me cry to no end was a soldier (or fireman, policeman, ect.) dressed in his Blues (or whatever they are called. I feel bad not knowing.). He was saluting. Shoulders squared, a brave air about him--and tears in his eyes. His face screwed up as he tried to hold back those tears. I can't even start to imagine what he saw that day.

Like I said. I was six at the time. I don't even remember much of it. But it still makes me cry. It brings unbearable pain to me. How, then, can half of America forget?

Forget the day that changed us? The day were America stood tall as one. Came together and held one another. How could people who saw this happen easily brush it aside?"

LIA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! I love to hear from anyone who reads my blog. If you're a first timer; have a look around!
-Lia-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...