Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August the Duck

Monday, I was sitting up in my friends younger sibling's tree house reading.
Suddenly Elijah, the younger brother yells, "DUCK!". Now, you have to understand that Hannah and I had been pestered by him already and our minds immediately went into defense mode, so, we ducked. It took Elijah a few tries to actually get us to believe there was a duck in their back yard.

Okay, okay. So it's a duck. No big deal. But, really, how many times do you find a wild duck just wandering around in your back yard? It's in the middle of town and the only close water source is a river...with turbines and a dam. So, I don't think it came from there. And we go down to the river and never see any ducks there.

We were scared it couldn't fly at first because when Elijah chased it (we didn't tell him to), it didn't fly away. It had no band on it's leg and no clipped wings. But, when Elijah said he saw it fly down from the storage building; that was when he yelled duck.

We spent some time out there, the whole family, saying 'hi' to the duck. We all agreed it was a mallard because of it's colors and when I showed my mother the pictures I snapped of it she said it looked like it too. (My mom is one of those people that knows all these things. She IS a walking encyclopedia. I'm jealous of her.)

Before I left Hannah's house, Elijah, Hannah and I created a name for her because she had lingered there all afternoon. I suggested something with an 'M'. I thought that was fitting. At the end, we were torn between the name of the bread we fed to her, Merita, or August, for the month we were in and, well, because we liked the name. And as the blog title suggest, she ended up with the name August.

I meant to ask how August is doing, if she's still hanging around...

Now, I will show you some of the photos I got of her. She got fairly close to me, but I still had to crop some of them. :D




I finally got a Candid of Hannah. Whenever I try and take a picture of her, she always has to smile or do SOMETHING that takes away from my artistic ideas. Just kidding, Hannah, just kidding. (Sort of. STOP SMILING. ;D)










Enjoy!

With Much Love,

4 comments:

  1. I used to have a duck.

    We named her Duck.

    My dog ended up stampeding her to death while we were out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that was a happy story.

    Haha! Having a duck would be beyond awesome. Except, I'm thinking they're not the cuddly type. Well, my cat isn't ether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen August since Monday night... so tragic. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love to hear from anyone who reads my blog. If you're a first timer; have a look around!
-Lia-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...