Thursday, August 4, 2011

What Star Trek Has To Do With Marriage (Sort Of)

My mom and I stopped at the library today on the way home and snagged a couple books. As I was gathering my books the liberian asked if I had gotten one of their newest bookmarks. I hadn't and didn't exactly want to, but took one anyway, because I adore our liberians and could never say no to them. 

While looking at their selection, my mom noticed a Star Trek one. They, my mom, the liberians and this one other lady, who just happened to be there, started to talk about Star Trek. Long story short; the conversation turned on to marriage. By the end, I learned that almost all of those ladies had been divorced, including my mom. 

I know what your first thought is. Marriage just isn't sacred anymore. The world has ruined it. 
Well, let me start with this: All these ladies were 40 or above, so this is nothing new. And, sadly, it's not just marriage being forgotten. It has a lot to do with how most people view marriage. 

Quick, what is the first image that comes to mind when you read the word marriage? I'd guess a happy couple, curled up on the couch together, sharing popcorn, or something along those lines. We see enjoyable images that make us feel all bubbly inside. Am I right? 

I'm going to burst those bubbles and tell you that marriage isn't suppose to be like that. Before you take that the wrong way; what I'm trying to say is that marriage isn't going to be rainbows and butterflies. In fact, the beauty of marriage is the times were there are NOT rainbows and butterflies, but thunder and lightning. 

If you truly love someone, like your brother or sister for example, you'll be with them even when you're angry with each other or struggling through a rough patch in life. I believe God designed marriage to be full of test and trials because that's the only way to prove you truly love someone. If marriage was happy things 99% of the time, when you hit that 1% that is bad, would you last? No, because you wouldn't be use to it. 

That being said, let's get back to how you see marriage. If you're a kid who grew up with married parents, you might know what true marriage is like, or you might be fooled. What I see a lot of parents doing is trying to sugar coat what goes on behind the scenes, when the kids aren't around, or what's going on inside their head. Kids, especially by books and T.V shows, are fed this idea that marriage is nothing but sugar, spice and everything nice. 

Being a kid of a divorced couple, I've had the chance to view marriage differently. I've been forced to sit down and think about that love and marriage really are. I could have satisfied myself with sappy soaps rich with cheesy romance, but instead I looked at the past in order to help shape my future. I noticed that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' marriage. If there were, the secret would be out by now. And, if there were a perfect marriage, it wouldn't be because they shared ice cream together while snuggled on the couch. No, it would be because they climbed each mountain, tackled each giant, and scaled every wall together. It would be because they leaned on each other when they felt weary and loved each other, even if they were angry at one another.  And most of all, it would be because they loved that person all the more when they struggled and fought. 

I'm not saying marriage doesn't have any happy and cheery moments, because it does. It's full of it. But it's also full of the bad, hard-times that test you, but make you stronger. When you think about it,that's how our relationship with God works. If it wasn't for the hard times, we'd never get closer to God. And God set up marriage like the relationship between him and us. We're all in the most beautiful marriage possible with Christ and doesn't he promise us that there will be hard times? But the real beauty is in those times, right? It proves to us that our God will not abandon us, no matter what. 

And that's what a real marriage is. It's not the rainbow and butterflies that we dream about. Honestly, I find it more romantic when it's tears and heartache, but that person, your lover, is still there. Everyone can make it through good times, but only the strongest can make it through the tough times. 

Remember, when you get married, that you said "for better or for worse", which means you'll be together no matter what. Don't let your imagination fool you on what marriage is. It's the union of two people, who can't be separated, not even by the hands of the devil. 

My boring lecture is now over. Enjoy! :]

With Much Love, 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! I love to hear from anyone who reads my blog. If you're a first timer; have a look around!
-Lia-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...